Opinions are divided on rhubarb. Some find it far too bitter, others love the tart fruitiness, which is very unique in taste. It is undoubtedly best in fruit purees, spreads or pastries, as the sugar content balances out the strong acidity a little. Together with iChoc White Vanilla, rhubarb is the star in today’s vegan tart recipe.
For a 35 x 11cm square tart tin (or a 22cm Ø round one).
For the base:
- 2 thick stalks of rhubarb
- 60 g warm vegan margarine
- 40 g sugar
- 1 vanilla sugar
- 150 g flour
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 60 g iChoc White Vanilla chocolate
- 100 g soy drink
- 1 pinch of salt
For the crumble:
- 50 g vegan margarine
- 40 g sugar
- 90 g flour
- 25 g chopped almonds
For the icing:
- 20 g iChoc White Vanilla chocolate
- 3 - 4 drops of neutral vegetable oil
- Grease and breadcrumbs for the baking tin
HOW TO MAKE IT
1. Wash and clean the rhubarb stalks, shorten them to the length of the baking dish and cut them in half lengthwise.
2. Prepare the crumble first. Knead all the ingredients into a crumbly dough.
3. Grease the baking tin and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.
4. For the base, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie.
5. Cream the margarine with the sugar and vanilla sugar in a large bowl.
6. mix together the flour, baking powder and salt. Add the mixture alternately with the soy drink to the margarine-sugar mixture and mix to a homogeneous dough.
7. Finally, fold in the melted chocolate.
8. Pour the batter into the baking tin. Place the rhubarb stalks next to each other and sprinkle with crumble.
9. Bake in a preheated oven at 190 °C top/bottom heat on the middle shelf for 40 minutes.
10. For the icing, melt the chocolate in a bain-marie, adding a few drops of oil, and drizzle over the cooled cake.