A delicious cake temptation doesn’t always have to be elaborate. Especially at the weekend, when the mood is more like relaxation, a quick and easy square cake is the classic. Our purely plant-based lemon poppy seed cake has a good portion of lemon freshness, some poppy seed crunch and, last but not least, a luscious chocolate icing with white vanilla on top. Add a cup of coffee for a perfect afternoon.
For a square cake tin
For the cake
- 300 g all purpose flour
- 150 g sugar
- 1 tbsp poppy seeds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 organic lemons (grated zests)
- 125 ml lemon juice
- 120 ml vegetable oil
- 160 ml plant milk
For the topping
- 160g iChoc White Vanilla Chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- some poppy seeds
How to make it
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F and line a loaf tin with parchment paper.
2. Place the flour, sugar, poppy seeds, baking powder and lemon zest in a bowl and mix well. Add in the remaining wet ingredients and combine to a smooth batter.
3. Pour the batter into the tin and even out. Place in the oven and bake for 45-50 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
4. Let cool down a bit before taking out of the tin. Meanwhile, slowly melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a bain-marie.
5. Finally, turn out the cake, cover it with melted white chocolate and sprinkle with some additional poppy seeds. Let the chocolate firm up before slicing and serving.
Thanks for this delicious recipe to Kirsten Kaminski from the vegan food blog The Tasty K!