Spring at last, strawberries at last! If you can’t get enough of these sweet little fruits and are also a fan of coconut, we have a great recipe for a fresh, vegan strawberry coconut cake for you today. With the finest chocolate, of course: you can choose between classic “milk” chocolate or a white vanilla dream. No matter what you choose – the result is definitely tasty and absolutely appealing. And the best: it’s not that difficult …
For a springform pan with Ø 18 or 20 cm
For the base
- 60 ml vegetable cream
- 80 g iChoc Classic or White Vanilla chocolate
- 2 tbsp coconut flakes
For the topping
- 10 - 12 fresh strawberries
- 1 can coconut milk
- 15 g agar agar
- 2 - 3 tbsp birch or table sugar
For the decoration
- 100 ml whippable vegetable cream
- whole strawberry(s)
- Coconut flakes (optional)
- Chocolate shavings of your choice (optional)
How to make it
1. For the base, crush the Classic or White Vanilla chocolate. Heat the vegetable cream in a saucepan, but do not boil. Mix the chopped chocolate with the cream, stirring constantly.
2. Line the springform tin with baking paper and stir the coconut flakes into the chocolate cream and mix well. Pour the mixture into the springform pan and place in the freezer for 10 minutes or in the fridge for 30 minutes until the base is firm.
3. In the meantime, wash the strawberries and dry them carefully with a kitchen towel. Cut about 10 – 12 strawberries of the same size in half.
4. Place the strawberry halves on the chocolate base. The cut edges will be directly against the edge of the springform pan. The tops of the strawberries point upwards. Place the strawberry halves close together.
5. In a saucepan, stir agar-agar into the cold or room-warm coconut milk and bring to the boil, stirring constantly. Simmer for at least 2 minutes, otherwise the mixture will not set.
6. Then stir in the sugar and pour the hot mixture into a bowl and leave to cool for 2 – 3 minutes. Do not leave it too long, as it will start to set.
7. Now slowly pour the mixture into the springform pan. Make sure that the strawberries do not slide off the edge. Place in the fridge for at least 1.5 hours or in the freezer for 45 minutes.
8. After the cooling time, carefully remove the springform pan. Remove the cake from the baking paper and place on a cake plate. Whip the clotted cream according to the instructions and sweeten if necessary.
9. Insert a star or rose nozzle into a piping bag and fill it about ¾ full with the clotted cream. Decorate the finished tartlet as desired. Finally, decorate as desired, e.g. place a strawberry in the centre and decorate with a few chocolate or coconut shavings.
Tip: Store in the fridge until serving. The cake can also be frozen.