When you feel the need to bake something really decadent (without any calories in mind), then we have the perfect fit you you.
Take your time and create this lovely chocolate layered almond orange cake. Your friends will love it! This sweet delight was provided by iChoc fan and food stylist Alexandra, who runs a wondeful blog called thecandytalking.tumblr.com.
What you need
(makes a 3-layers cake of 16,5 cm diameter)
For the cake
> 300 g flour
> 50 g cacao powder
>16 g baking powder
> a pinch of salt
> 80 ml sunflower oil
> 200 ml orange juice
> 4 tablespoons apple mousse
> 100 g palm sugar
> 1 tsp almond natural extract
> 1 bar (80 g) iChoc „Almond Orange“
For the almond/orange frosting
> 300 g powder sugar
> 250 g plant-based shortening
> 2 tablespoons orange juice
> 1 teaspoon almond natural essence
For the iChoc almond orange ganache
> 1 bar (80 g) iChoc almond orange
> 2 tablespoons plant-based shortening
> 1 tablespoon almond milk (or other plant-based milk)
How you create it
For the cake
– In a mixing bowl sift the flour, cacao powder, baking powder, add the salt & whisk together all the ingredients.
– In a second mixing bowl, combine the apple mousse with the palm sugar, orange juice & sunflower oil. Add the almond extract and mix well.
– Add the dry ingredient mix to the wet mix & blend the ingredients to get a smooth batter.
– Chop one bar iChoc almond organge in fine pieces and add it to the cake batter.
– Divide the batter equally into 3 springforms of 16,5 diameter each & bake in pre-heated oven at 150°C for approximately 15-20 mins. Dip a knife in the cake and if it comes out clean (or with some melted chocolate pieces) then your cake is ready!
– Let is cool off completely before you start with the frosting.
For the frosting
– In a mixing bowl, beat the plant-based shortening with a mixer until soft.
– Add slowly half of the powder sugar amount & mix it.
– Add the orange juice, almond essence & the rest of the powder sugar & mix well till you get a soft & smooth buttercream. Place the cream in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour until it gets more stiff.
– When the cake is completely cooled off, prepare your layers and make sure they are smooth and even to ensure a stable layered cake. You will probably have to cut their tops in order to flatten their shape.
– When your layers are ready & the frosting cooled, you can start building the layered cake. First spread some frosting on the bottom cake base, then place the second cake layer, frost the second cake layer & place the third cake layer on top. Put the cake in the refrigerator for at least 1/2 hour.
– Finish it off by covering the cake with the remaining frosting. Place it again in the refrigerator while you prepare the ganache.
For the iChoc almond organge ganache
– Melt the iChoc almond organge in ‘bain-marie’ & add the plant-based shortening & plant-based milk. Whisk well until you get a smooth mixture.
– Let it cool off for a couple of minutes and then pour it over the frosted cake.
– Decorate with raw almonds, orange slices & iChoc almond organge chocolate pieces.